In 1808, before the town of Oakville existed, the Crown
granted the land at 502 Dundas Street West to Daniel Shawson. In 1815 Mr.
Shawson sold the land to a United Empire Loyalist named Amos Biggar.
Biggar built the original rectangular section of this house in 1816. The house
was built in the Classic Revival style, a good example of a Loyalist farmstead.
Single storey additions were added to either side of the 1-1/2 storey rectagular
original section. These additions were probably built by the next owner of
the house, Philip Box.
In 1853, the house was sold to Jonathan Pettit.
Already standing in 1837, the house is one of the few that remain
in Trafalgar/Oakville from the "MacKenzie Rebellion".
In 1903, the farm was sold to George King who reared at least 9 children
there. In 1936, the farm was sold to Harriet Pierce Bunting who then
sold the land to Taymouth Industries Limited in 1949.
Recently, the town of Oakville passed a bylaw to save the house from being destroyed.
property where it also received its new address - 2441 Neyagawa Blvd. The house
is now home to Jelinek Cork Group and the Cork House. The home has been restored
and many elements besides the structure remain in their original form.